Re: /usr/bin vs /usr/sbin

At 02:13 -0800 1999-02-23, Joseph Carter wrote:
LTNT..  =>

On Mon, Feb 22, 1999 at 03:45:43AM -0800, George Bonser wrote:
> sbin is for STATIC binaries.  For some reason none of the Linux dists
> (unless slackware does and the knghtbrd package has a memleak) actually
> use it as designed.

Uhm, I have always been taught that sbin is for things used by superuser.
Things the sysadmin or system needs but that you want out of the general
user's path.

This has become the definition but that wasn't the original purpose..

Prove it.

The BSD hier(7) man page has this:
    /sbin/   system programs and administration utilities fundamental to both
             single-user and multi-user environments

Traditionally, the entire root filesystem is static (as it still is on BSD systems *today*).
--
Joel Klecker (aka Espy)                     <URL:http://web.espy.org/>
<URL:mailto:jk@espy.org>                  <URL:mailto:espy@debian.org>