Re: location dependencies

On Tue, 23 Feb 1999, Scott K. Ellis wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Feb 1999, Wayne Cuddy wrote:
>
> > I built my first test package a short time ago and all seemed to go well.  I
> > have a question about how to solve some location dependencies that exist in a
> > few packages that I plan to create.
> >
> > When I built my test package I specified to the 'configure' script the
> > '--prefix' option was inside my debian directory.  This worked fine for this
> > package.  My question is how do I handle it if the package uses this location
> > to find libraries and config files at runtime.
> >
> > For instance if I specify --prefix=debian/tmp the package will not find it's
> > needed files at runtime since this directory only exists when I am creating my
> > package.
>
> ./configure --prefix=/usr
> make
> make install DESTDIR=`pwd`/debian/tmp
>   or
> make install prefix=`pwd`/debian/tmp/usr

Scott has it exactly right.  I'd just like to add, that, in general, the
former of those two options is preferable, since it's precisely the
purpose that DESTDIR is expected to be used for (so Makefiles which ignore
it are broken, and can sensibly be patched) whereas it's *not* what prefix
is used for (so if setting prefix for the install target has no other
side-effects, that's a 'coincidence').

Jules