Re: Question on segv dpkg wrt links in man/man1

On Sun, Nov 22, 1998 at 08:07:16PM +0100, Bart Warmerdam wrote:

>   Hi,
>
>   I have a question:
>
>   I am currently working on a port on csound. In package csound all manuals
>   are linked to csound.1.gz. In de archive the csound.1.gz is not the first
>   file to be extracted (see below). When installing a package when there is no
>   valid link, dpkg segfaults on chown. Is this a problem with dpkg or do i try
>   to reorder the man dir in the archive (with tar flags)??? When manually
>   copying this file and installing all is well.

There were problems a while ago when the lchown syscall was added to the
linux kernel but the numbers were messed up so the "chown" command would try
and chown what the symlinked pointed to rather than the symlink itself.

What kernel are you on, and are you using recent versions of (mentioning all
programs <g>):  dpkg, tar, libc6, libc5, fileutils.

Adrian

email: adrian.bridgett@zetnet.co.uk, http://www.poboxes.com/adrian.bridgett
Windows NT - Unix in beta-testing.   PGP key available on public key servers
Avoid tiresome goat sacrifices  -=-  use Debian Linux http://www.debian.org