non-pristine sources

     One of the dictionary packages I am preparing for use with the
dictd server is distributed as two separate .tar.gz files, so I will
have to make a combined file as _orig.tar.gz.  Do I have to ask for
permission to use non-pristine sources in such a case?

     Another dictionary package contains formatting software and
datbases for five dictionaries in the upstream tarball.  One of these
dictionaries - The Free On-Line Dictionary of Computing (foldoc) -is
updated almost daily, but the source package is not.  I intend to
remove foldoc from the upstream package, leaving a non-pristine source
for the remaining four dictionaries, and create another source package
for foldoc, which I expect to update frequently.  Do I have to ask for
permission to do this?

Bob
--
   _