Re: non-maintainer upload

G John Lapeyre <lapeyre@newton.physics.arizona.edu> writes:
> 	There is a bad bug in tcsh. In fact, it may point to another bug
> in hamm, as the tcsh bug has existed for quite some time (probably on bo)
> and exists on many other non-linux platforms.
> 	On hamm it happens to have worse consequences, it can cause tcsh
> to go into an infinite loop.
> 	I fixed the bug, but I have heard  from neither the  Debian
> maintainer, nor the upstream author.  It's only been a few days, but I am
> anxious to have it fixed.
> 	I am 90% sure the bug fix is OK, although the upstream maintainer
> may eventually do something more robust or better. Since its a widely used
> shell, it should be heavily tested however, but I guess that's what
> frozen is for.
> 	Question: When is a non-maintainer release appropriate ?

Yes, it sounds like you have tested the package.  You remember the NMU
guidelines right?

  * make sure you're patching only what you need to!
  * put a version on the package with a minor number, i.e.,
    6.07.02-7.1, to ensure the next official upload has a larger
    number
  * take the diff which you applied to fix this bug, and send it to
    the open bug on the bug tracking system
  * if the bug has a priority >= important, demote the bug to normal
    priority

>  Thanks (probably Manoj , since he fields most of the stuff on this list)

Not this time ;)

Thanks for taking the time to fix this bug.