Re: About LTO bugs in med packages

Am Sat, Dec 10, 2022 at 04:06:06PM +0100 schrieb Étienne Mollier:
> Hi Nilesh,
>
> Nilesh Patra, on 2022-12-04:
> > There are a bunch of LTO based bugs that have been filed. The packages
> > that had "real" issues (as in with the code) with LTO have been fixed.
> >
> > Now most of what is left is changes in symbols, which fails with dpkg-gensymbols,
> > which is just a change with compiler opt, and likely nothing more
> > and I am not quite thrilled to keep them open until they become RC provided there
> > are so many of them.
> >
> > Does it make sense to force no-lto in these?
>
> Force no-lto would be the path of least resistance.  It won't
> hurt but won't bring the supposed benefit of the build option.
> In libraries it might be a shame, as they factor out code used
> by potentially lots of packages.  On the other hand I'm not sure
> that only private symbols may go away when lto builds are
> active; I would have to check that by running autopkgtest on
> reverse dependencies.
>
> I remained undecided about adding -fvisibility=hidden, as this
> might make libraries' symbol tracking overall more manageable,
> but in some cases, I saw the whole symbols file being emptied,
> so I assume this is only applicable for upstream sources which
> provide the appropriate mappings; they would usually include the
> -fvisibility=hidden flag in their own build options already.
> But should it give sensible results, it might help with the
> symbols tracking update caused by lto usage, or even solve it at
> once.
>
> I'm hopeful to be able to take the time to sort one of the
> libraries during the Advent, to check how reverse dependencies
> behave when optimisations are applied.

I admit I'm not sure about the consensus regarding the LTO bugs.  Fixing
half of them might be as easy as updating the symbols files.  However,
as far as I understood the discussion its not yet clear whether we
really want LTO or not.  Am I missing something?  If I might have
missied the point I'll start immediately to fix those bugs.