Advice/Opinions regarding shovill

I had packaged shovill, which is a workflow package
roughly two years ago. However, pretty soon I had realised,
for every analysis you want to do, you need to _manually_ modify the
bin/shovill file[1]

Since in debian, it is in /usr/bin/shovill, you need to be modifying that file
for each and every analysis when you want to change the adapter file.
Since that is ugly, I had written code for
a command line option that circumvents this manual modification and sent a PR
upstream[2]

Since we want to be inlined with what upstream is doing, I did not change it in debian
package as that would mean diverging from there. I even after pinging several times, only
to realise that upstream simply ignored it.

And so, since this package is not properly usable (without root permissions) I am planning
ahead to merge this cli opt feature in the debian package anyway and upload, mentioning
this in d/NEWS that we are different in this aspect.

Do you think this is fine or would you have any better suggestions?
Also, do you think it makes sense to upload this also in stable-p-u?

Let me know.

Regards,
Nilesh

[1]: https://github.com/tseemann/shovill/tree/master/bin