Re: gabt-core and minia - still updatable for bullseye?

Am 16.02.21 um 19:27 schrieb Andreas Tille:
> Hi Steffen,
>
> On Tue, Feb 16, 2021 at 07:09:18PM +0100, Steffen Möller wrote:
>> I just backported a patch from upstream for gabt-core for which there is
>> no release that allows minia to compile. Works.
>>
>> Now - big question - shall I upload to unstable?
> I realised new upstream versions of gatb-core and minia even in January
> - but it was to late for the transition freeze.  I think upgrading
> gatb-core is definitely a transition and affects several packages while
> we learned in the past (the hard way) that gatb-core upstream does not
> mind about ABI compatibility.
This at some point is worth a rant - how the ease of using git
subprojects destroys good ole software development practices. And - if
the scientific development is so fast that an old API holds no
scientific value then they have a point. gffread is a notorious API
offender together with gclib - we should prepare a list and write a
paper ... somewhen.
> So IMHO it is not OK in unstable (but
> for sure it is fine in experimental).
Hm. I just pushed to salsa as unreleased. These uploads to experimental
I never liked since this should have dual semantics.
>> This obviously missed
>> the 12th. Our sprint is also a bit late in that respect :o/
> IMHO there is no optimal timing for a sprint since there is always
> sufficient work to do.  I hope my definitely incomplete list of tasks
> for the sprint[1] will prove me right. ;-)
No worries.
> [1] https://salsa.debian.org/med-team/community/sprints/-/wikis/202102_debian-med_sprint_online#tasks-for-the-sprint

Referenced from https://wiki.debian.org/Sprints/2021/DebianMed

Best,