Re: Interested in the Bioinformatics project at Outreachy

[Please lets switch the discussion right to the Debian Med mailing
 list where all our discussion will happen.  Please note that this
 list is publicly archived in the web so if you have really private
 questions it is fine if you write me in private.]
Dear Nikhita,

On Thu, Oct 05, 2017 at 07:34:24PM +0530, Nikhita Damaraju wrote:
> Dear Mr. Tille,

just to tell you in the beginning: Andreas (=first name) is perfectly
fine.

> I was interested in the project titled "Continuous Integration for
> biological applications inside Debian" that was included in the list of
> projects for Outreachy. I study Biological Sciences at Indian Institute of
> Technology, Madras.
>
> I have a reasonable coding experience in languages like Python(including
> Biopython), MATLAB, C, C++ and R. I have also used various other
> software for courses like Biostatistics, Numerical methods in Biology and,
> Data Structures and Algorithms in Biology that I have completed so far.
> Further, I have participated and won a hackathon in developing a tool for
> Biology using Python, Flask and, front-end Web based tools.

Sounds like a perfectly fitting qualification for the task.

> I wish to understand the project in detail and begin solving bugs in order
> to get familiar with packaging. I am currently in the process of writing my
> application for Outreachy.

To answer your question to get familiar with the task please let me know
how comfortable you are with a Debian system (or may be derivative like
Ubuntu).  I need to know this to adjust my advise according to your
knowledge.

I'd suggest you write a test for one of the following packages:

      pyscanfcs
      raxml
      macs

Just let me know if you know one of the packages and whether you have
some preference in the first run.  There is no reason to be afraid if
you are not comfortable with Debian internals - we have quite some
history in teaching newcomers.  Just do not hesitate to ask any
questions about things that might be not clear.

I'd be very glad to work with you in this outreachy project