Re: FYI: New Abyss 2.0 contains undistributable components

Hi Shaun,

On Mon, Sep 05, 2016 at 01:50:57PM -0700, Shaun Jackman wrote:
> The license of ABySS 2.0 is unchanged from ABySS 1.9. The license of ABySS
> and all of the files contained in  https://github.com/bcgsc/abyss are
> described in https://github.com/bcgsc/abyss/blob/master/COPYRIGHT

I vaguely remember that we discussed ABySS license in private mail but
I'd like to come back here on the list to make you consider giving up a
non-free license.  Besides the fact that it would be better to drop the
non-commercial restriction at all I think a license saying

  You may use, redistribute and modify this software for non-commercial
  purposes under the terms of the GNU General Public License

The restriction you apply to GPL afterwards seems to contradict the
GPL idea IMHO.

It would be great if you could reconsider to simply drop the restriction.