From: Andreas Tille <andreas@fam-tille.de>
Date: 2016-02-18 10:57 GMT+03:00
Subject: Re: Outreachy 2016 application
To: Anna Lioznova <lanna2009@gmail.com>

Dear Anna,

On Thu, Feb 18, 2016 at 01:41:55AM +0300, Anna Lioznova wrote:
> Dear Andreas,
>
> thanks once again for your reply.

I usually try to make sure that people who want to work do not need to
wait for me.

> > What package do you decided for?
>
> Do I understand correctly that I can choose any existing package? May I
> start with bwa https://packages.debian.org/sid/bwa ?

Sure.  The best thing to start is something you know perfectly (which I
assume from your choice).  Bwa has no test suite yet - that's a perfect
candidate.

> One more silly question -- do I have to use Debian for everything or can I
> use Ubuntu as well?

Thats no silly question. :-)  (I doubt there are any silly questions
anyway.)  I personally do not use Ubuntu and thus I might not be as
helpful for any particular detail as I would be otherwise.  There is
sufficient documentation how to setup chroot environments for building
Debian packages on an Ubuntu system and seting up a virtual machine just
in case should be simple as well.  So there is no need to change your
system.

Spoken from a general point of view not connected to this outreachy
program I consider Debian the natural choice for bioinformaticans
because you have a strong team behind this topic that actually *cares*
(guess why we are starting this project ;-)) and you get optimal support
for your field of work.  So if you are not addicted to the funny Unity
GUI (which I personally fail to understand) there is not so much that
speaks for Ubuntu.  But may be that's a conclusion you can draw yourself
after this project ...

> > I think the best way is to study the Debian Med policy
> >
> >    http://debian-med.alioth.debian.org/docs/policy.html
> >
> > This explains how to become a member of the team to get commit
> > permissions to our team repository.
> >

> Got it! I had a quick look through, but I'll definitely read it more
> precisely as soon as I'll have assess to alioth

Yes.  Just tell me - or rather the mailing list

    http://lists.debian.org/debian-med/

you should definitely subscribe - in case of any problems.  I would also
move our private discussion right now to the mailing list and I would
like you to answer on list in your next mail by quoting me freely in
public.

> > Please let me know if you might face some trouble in gettingt a login
> > on alioth.debian.org.
>
> I'm not able to get an account: I filled in the registration form (my
> username is lanna), received an email with the link and got an error
> "Exiting with error Could Not Get User" while trying to follow the link and
> log in. I would appreciate your help!

Hmmm, I checked alioth and neither did found a user lanna nor the name
Lioznova.  Something seems to be wrong on alioth.  I'd recommend to
simply try again and post the problem to the mailing list as suggested
above.  We could then point alioth admins (which I'm not) to the issue.

> Thanks a lot,

You are welcome.  BTW, last year I was mentoring a woman from India in a
GSoC project and I was also running a quite successful Mentoring of
Month project specifically dedicated to woman with a woman from Iran.  I
liked both projects a lot and I'd be happy to do my small contribution
to increase the number of woman in Debian.  May be you like to join

   https://lists.debian.org/debian-women/

as well and give a short introduction there.