Re: Please use a free license for blimps and sift

Dear Andreas,

I've asked Steve  Henikoff to check with FHCRC's Technology Transfer office to see if we can change the license to GNU-GPL. (The latest version of SIFT (SIFT 4 Genomes is a hybrid license of GNU-GPL and FHCRC), so this will simplify things later. Please email me in 2 weeks time if you haven't heard from me.

Also, because I wrote the SIFT algorithm, I'd like to benchmark and check the code that debian-med packages. I think there are several version of SIFT out there. What is the latest release version that you'd like to use?

Thanks,
Pauline

On Wed, Jan 13, 2016 at 3:25 PM, Andreas Tille <andreas@an3as.eu> wrote:
Dear Pauline,

On Wed, Jan 13, 2016 at 09:59:14AM +0800, Pauline Ng wrote:
> The Henikoffs and I received your email about regarding changing the
> license of blimps and SIFT to GPL. We are willing to consider it if SIFT
> can be easily distributed. Do you have a working version of SIFT on
> debian?

Currently version 4.0.3b is packaged and I know that this is not the
latest released version.  One reason for this lag behind is the fact
that SIFT remains in non-free which does not receive the apropriate care
- thus the motivation for my mail to tackle the latest version if there
would be a free license.

> My old version of SIFT uses a very old version of blast and calls a binary
> of blimps --I think the source code has been since lost.

The Debian version of SIFT is linked against a separately packaged
version of blimps 3.9.  I noticed that the downloadable tarball
sift5.2.2.tar.gz contains a dir blimps/blimps with C sources (and even
*.o files which should not be distributed inside a tarball).  I also see
a dir blimps/bin which we would clean up from the tarball since we
usually do not ship precompiled binaries in the source tarball.

> If you can can confirm that SIFT works in debian, then Dr. Henikoff will
> talk to the FHCRC tech transfer office to start the process.

I can confirm that the Debian Med team got the old version of SIFT
working and we will try or best to get also the latest version working.
However, please make sure that the license change is not only for the
purpose of distribution inside Debian but rather in general since a
specific free Debian license is also considered as non-free by the
Debian Free Software Guidelines.

> Thanks,
> Pauline

Thanks a lot for your fast response