Re: wgs-assembler (was: Intent to Join DebianMed)

Hi, Andreas,

On الثلاثاء 28 نيسـان 2015 23:36, Andreas Tille wrote:
Hi Afif,

On Tue, Apr 28, 2015 at 09:41:13PM -0700, Afif Elghraoui wrote:
Hello,
I've been reading this and other Debian mailing lists for several
months now and I've just gotten enough time to spare to start
contributing.

Great!  I'd wish I could read such a statement every week. :-)

I've done much reading of the Debian documentation and
looked through the Debian Med policy, but I think it's time for me
to get started. My major interests are in backports (I'm a Debian
Stable user)

I need to say that I really like this!  I'm aware that we should do more
for stable users but I'm busy enough with other challenges.  So this is
heavily appreciated and I try to support you in doing this as good as
possible.

and packaging some software that I use. I've just
requested to join the project on Alioth (my username is afif-guest).

Just accepted.

Thanks for the welcome. :)

The first package I'd like to work on is a suite for analyzing
single-molecule genome sequencing data [1] from Pacific Biosciences.
I know it's quite ambitious, but it has dependencies among which is
the Celera assembler, which has been on the DebianMed to-do list for
some time [2].

Fine.  It is on our tasks page[3] and points to packaging in SVN.  If
you prefer Git it just needs a little ping and I'll move it to git.  I
have done the last work on version 8.1 and I think there was not much
missing any more to finalise the package (but I would need to make up my
mind about this).  Its definitely a lack of testing the package is
suffering.

It also depends on an external project called k-mer tools that should be packaged separately first. I see you've also noted that in the wgs-assembler repository. I had looked at it before and the licensing was not very clear for all the modules.

So its your choice to either

   a) ask me to move all SVN stuff to Git (I have some experience with
      this) or
   b) try to do it yourself and ask me for hints if needed

I think I can manage this. I found answers to my immediate questions in the list archive.

Welcome in the team

Thanks again. Your time is much appreciated.

Afif