Because Locfit[3] was originally developed inside your organisation

  Copyright © 1996-2001 Lucent Technologies.
  Catherine Loader,
  email: c at herine.net

but we failed terribly to contact Catherine (see our report here[5]) I'm
trying hardly and with no better idea than to contact you directly
whether you possibly could clarify the licensing issue.

This single phrase is the critical part inside the license:

   "Anyone wishing to use Locfit in any kind of comparative benchmark
    study must contact and obtain permission from the Author."

because it conflicts with item

   6. No Discrimination Against Fields of Endeavor

of DFSG[4].  The restriction seems to be hard to fullfill because we
failed to contact Catherine even when trying hard.

I wonder whether you could help us to drop this (historic ??)
restriction to the code or just apply a well known Free Software license
like GPL or BSD to the code.

Thanks in advance for any help and feel free to ask back for any
clarification if needed

      Andreas Tille, Debian developer.

[1] http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-med
[2] http://cufflinks.cbcb.umd.edu/