Re: [MoM] Packaging fis-get

On 01/29/2012 04:26 AM, Andreas Tille wrote:
On Sun, Jan 29, 2012 at 10:17:55AM +0100, Karsten Hilbert wrote:
Just so it is not forgotten:

Due to what Luiz posted the gtm package should probably
depend on libicu* somehow.
Just for the sake of interest: What is the exact sign for this
dependency?  For final checking I'd recommend either a clean chroot
environment or alternatively `apt-get purge libicu48` and see whether
installation might fail.

[KSB] There are both philosophical and technical considerations with respect to libicu.

GT.M can be installed either including or omitting support for Unicode / ISO/IEC-10646 - it's the same GT.M binary distribution, but the directories are slightly different. With GT.M, ICU is not needed to support European language, as well as many non-European languages, but is needed even for simultaneous support of multiple European languages (e.g., German and Polish). One choice we have when packaging GT.M for Debian is whether to recommend libicu or whether to require libicu. While I would prefer to require libicu, the fact is that ICU support adds bulk for someone who wants a minimal distribution. So, I am open to persuasion either way.

With respect to the technical consideration, since one of the scripts that is a standard part of GT.M (the "gtm" script) uses the "icu-config --version" command and since icu-config is part of libicu-dev, I would suggest making either a dependency on or a recommendation (depending on the philosophical decision) based on libicu-dev rather than on a specific libicu version.

Regards
-- Bhaskar

Thanks for the hint

GT.M - Rock solid. Lightning fast. Secure. No compromises.