License of colt [colt_1.2.0~dfsg-1_amd64.changes REJECTED]

Hi Wolfgang,

I intended to package colt as a precondition for some phylogeny package
inside Debian.  Unfortunately the current license is in conflict with the
Debian Free Software Guidelines

   http://www.debian.org/social_contract#guidelines

specifically item 5. and 6. saying:

  5. No Discrimination Against Persons or Groups
     The license must not discriminate against any person or group of persons.

  6. No Discrimination Against Fields of Endeavor
     The license must not restrict anyone from making use of the program
     in a specific field of endeavor. For example, it may not restrict the
     program from being used in a business, or from being used for genetic
     reseach.

So while I personally perfectly share your pacifistic intentions and it
is a hard job I need to take over hereby but I wonder whether you might
consider a point of view that licensing of Free Software and pacifistic
view of the world are orthogonal things.  If not we never can release
colt nor its dependencies in main Debian which would be a shame.

----- Forwarded message from Ansgar Burchardt <ftpmaster@debian.org> -----