Re: Help with java package (beast-mcmc) needed

Hi Olivier,

thanks for your patience.

On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 09:31:40AM +0100, Olivier Sallou wrote:
> > Apropos MANIFEST:  I formerly fiddled around with packaging using jh_manifest
> > and there is also some alternative packaging method at
> >
> >    http://people.debian.org/~tille/packages/beast-mcmc-help-wanted/manifest/
> >
> > featuring a debian/beast-mcmc.manifest file.  Believe it or not it shows
> > the very same behaviour.  The most strange fact for me is that the two
> > executables loganalyser and logcombiner are very similar but only one of
> > them runs and the other fails.
> >
> > Do you think I should simply add a CLASSPATH variable to those scripts that
> > are failing without understanding why the others are working?
>
> classpath in beast-mcm.manifest looks fine but did you check the content
> of generated JARS with their manifest content?
> (you can exec jar -xf myfile.jar to "unzip" it and look in sub dir
> META-INF for MANIFEST file).

I checked using mc and I can confirm that the resulting
META-INF/MANIFEST.MF contains those JARs which were not found.

> If generated manifest is file in one, and not in the other, it might a
> simple typo issue with generation.

I came to the conclusion that the cause of the trouble is probably the
fact that five of six executables in beast-mcmc are using the very same
JAR file and are just calling different classes.  It does not explain
why *two* out of these five are working (not only the one which is
marked as MainClass in the MANIFEST.MF file) and *three* others don't
but I admit that I do not like to spend even more time into this (the
package was left unattended for 9 monthes because of this and I now
really want to bring it to an end) and thus I now set CLASSPATH
explicitely inside the according wrapper scripts.  This seems to work so
far.  I'll now work on some lintian issues before upload and so there is
some time left for further hints before I upload but if nobody might
have any clue I'll upload with these explicite settings.