Re: [med-svn] r9244 - in trunk/packages/phylographer/trunk/debian: . source

On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 08:40:52AM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> Le Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 07:48:40PM +0000, Andreas Tille a écrit :
> > Modified:
> >    trunk/packages/phylographer/trunk/debian/compat
> >    trunk/packages/phylographer/trunk/debian/control
> > Log:
> > Fixed cut-n-pasto in Vcs fields, packaging updates - does anybody care about this package??
>
> Hi Andreas,
>
> I lost momentum with phylographer in 2007 after asking Upstream what the
> license of the TCL Blast parsers are (http://www.atgc.org/BlastParser/Blast_Parser.html).
> He answered me “Parser without defined license. It looks as in public domain”,
> and replied that if he is the upstream author, it would help to give a license,
> and there was no answer.

Anybody interested in asking again?

> In the meantime, PhyloGrapher did not evolve at all, and I have not been using
> it for years.

May be that's the fate of tcl programs. :-)

> Perhaps it would be better to not upload unless supported by
> others ?

When looking at the code I do not expect any new drive from this
program.  If you are not using it any more what are you using instead of
this?

So I also wonder whether we want to keep the source in our SVN.  Usually
we do not keep the source of packages in SVN at all.  So if you consider
it worth to keep, could you possibly move everything to Git?  (Same
question for other packages where Thorsten detected upstream code in
SVN.)