Re: Trouble with ensembl preconditions

libwww-perl-5.808 is a really nasty hack (it breaks an awful lot of other stuff if it is installed) and in an ideal world we wanted to avoid having to install it at all. To be honest I'm not sure how we got it to work in the first place, but it certainly did at one point - I think this problem could be a result of a change in another package that didn't conflict before. There's a couple of package conflicts declared in the libwww-perl-5.808 packaging but there might be many more that we don't already know about.

Ensembl has a single Perl script that depends on libwww-perl-5.808 (somewhere in the BLAST code), and without that script it is not needed at all. The script does not work with newer versions of libwww-perl. We've been on at the upstream people for ages about removing the dependency on that specific version but they have no enthusiasm in doing so for as long as it still works on their machines with the old libwww-perl installed then it doesn't cause them enough of a headache to get it changed. If there's a volunteer out there who'd like to have a go at fixing the script themselves, you're more than welcome, and we will do our best to get the patch submitted upstream (although they do not always accept external patches, on the grounds that they do not have time to test them).

I am no longer involved in any of these packages and have handed over to my colleagues Will and Nick as you know, but Steffen Moeller might be able to help.

Richard.

--
Richard Holland, BSc MBCS
Chief Business Officer