Re: Auto-forward of debianmed posts to the debian planet?

Hi,

On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 04:52:35PM +0200, Steffen Möller wrote:
> Andreas and I have different opinions on the forwarding of posts to
> http://debianmed.blogspot.com to http://planet.debian.org/ . I would
> like to have those entries that shall be forwarded to be tagged with
> the label 'planet'. The labels can be added any time if they have
> been forgotten when first submitting the post.

My argument against a label is simply that I (and perhaps other people
who I would love to see blogging on behalf of the Debian Med team) will
forget adding a tag ... because I really consider it redundant (see
below).

> This would have the advantage that more biological or more internal
> posts would not find a very different audience than anticipated.

I can not imagine any of our blog posts which is more irrelevant for
Debian than ... say for example this[1] posting.  So it took me less
than a minute to find a posting which keeps me away from planet at all.
It is the (unfruitful IMHO) mix of relevant and totally irrelevant
content.  So feel perfectly free to feed specifically biological science
right into planet.d.o.  It is way better to discuss pure science there
than discussing how to travel with bicycles in trains (well, I
personally love to go by bicyle and I sometimes travel with it in trains
- but I would love to have this discussed somewhere else).

So there is nearly zero chance to be off-topic with any of our postings.

> Also,
> once used to the concept of labeling, I could imagine that our blog
> would find selective readers also within say the Bio-Linux community
> or some planet addressing pure medical informatics. Whatever.
>
> Are there any strong opinions on your sides?

I have the very strong opinion that Debian Med actually *is* a *part* of
Debian and that's why per definition anything which is relevant for
Debian Med is relevant for Debian in general.  I'd consider hiding
something which is relevant for Debian Med from a general Debian public
as totally contraproductive for the following reasons:

  1. I want to see the Debian Med project as visible inside Debian
     as possible.  The rationale is that I would love to see other
     projects following our route.  (Profit for Debian)
  2. I do not see any sense in refusing the lot of readers from
     planet.d.o from certain content.  There are so many people reading
     this and there might be biologist / medical researchers who do
     not yet know Debian Med.  Just let them see what we are doing
     without trying to select what might be good for a general public.
     (Profit for Debian Med)

So I strongly vote for forewarding any of our Blog postings to planet.
In the worst case we can (miss)use planet.d.o as an instance to get some
response about thisng we might have done wrong - I really appreciate
this feedback.

[1] http://orangesquash.org.uk/~laney/blog/posts/2011/08/trains-and-bikes/