Re: Licsensing scientific data

On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 2:16 PM, Peter Cock <p.j.a.cock@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I have now emailed UniProt regarding the recent discussion on the
> Debian-Med list about the UniProt CC BY-ND 3.0 licence stemming
> from the inclusion of example data from UniProt in EMBOSS (and
> potentially other open source tools like BioPerl and Biopython).
>
> My email has been received by the UniProt help desk system,
> which assigned reference [help #61792] which should be
> included in the email subject of any follow up correspondence.
>
> The automated reply also warned that during the summer holiday
> period (until end of August) there may be some delays in dealing
> with queries.
>
> Regards,
>
> Peter

I have had an initial reply that the licensing issue will be raised
at the next UniProt consortium meeting, but in the meantime
they recommend downloading test files via the UniProt API
as part of a test suite, rather than bundling files.

Obviously a unit test requiring network access has downsides,
but this seems a practical interim solution for packaging
EMBOSS etc within Debian free.

Peter