Re: Status packaging GT.M? (Was: OpenVista for Ubuntu)

On Tue, Feb 02, 2010 at 03:08:09PM -0500, K.S. Bhaskar wrote:
> Your e-mail is very timely - we just announced a major new GT.M release
> today (see http://fis-gtm.com)!

:)
Congratulations to this release.

> Jon has set up an Ubuntu repository (see
> https://medsphere.org/docs/DOC-1722) and he is able to build and
> distribute packages.

I had a look into

  http://mirrors.medsphere.org/pub/apt/ubuntu/pool/main/f/fis-gtm-5.3004/
  http://mirrors.medsphere.org/pub/apt/ubuntu/pool/main/f/fis-gtm-5.3004a/

(the distinction with 'a' in the end is unclear to me - an explanation
would be welcome.)

I guess you will soon start updating to the latest version.  Once you
did so I will extract it and move the packaging directory (debian/) to
our SVN.  Alternatively we might move also this stuff to SVN (or Git at
your preference) for historic reasons if you think this makes sense.  It
might be a reasonable idea to maintain a common Debian / Ubuntu
changelog anyway.

Once the packaging directory is in our VCS I will be able to have a look
into it and try my luck with building the packages.

> The next step is that I need to write a GT.M install script that will
> provide for a cleaner installation of GT.M from a .deb package.  Now that
> we have the V5.4-000 release out, I plan to work with Jon on that.

Great.

> Once we have a tested installation script, then we can look at doing
> builds on alioth and getting it included in the Debian repositories.  At
> this point, we will almost certainly need your help because among other
> things, we will need to create some meta packages.  Also, we will
> probably need help in setting something up under /etc/alternatives.

Sound like a doable task for me ...

> I hope this gives you a view of where things are.  We are making
> progress, only not as fast as we would like to.

Sore.  No problem.  This kind of projects always take more time as
expected.

> If you have any questions, please do ask.

See above:

  1. 'a' in the end
  2. It is reasonable to put current stuff into Debian Med VCS even
     if it does not build a valid Debian package.  Sometimes it make
     sense to keep the history - but it is finally your decision.