Preconfiguration of Firefox (Was: Debian for Systems Biology)

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006, Charles Plessy wrote:

the
search box of firefox can be used to query very relevant databases,
such as pubmed.gov or genbank (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/Genbank/),

You mean mozilla-biofox?

Not sure. It seems that biofox is a toolbar with many functionalities.
In mozilla-derived browsers, there is a small field right of the url
field, from which a google search can be started. Other search engines
can be added, including scientific ones. It is less powerful than
biofox, but on the other hand is not a plugin, but a built-in fuction
that can be configured. But I wonder wether this, and the default
bookmarks, can be easily tweaked in a custom debian distribution.

I think I understand what Charles means and I would regard this a good
idea.  IMHO, this would require the following:

   1) Make med-tools dependant from firefox (it will be in the future
      anyway because I want to include mozilla-biofox).
   2) Tweak the firefox configuration of all users that are in the
      group "med" to add the necessary search engine.

If someone could provide the code that would make the necessary change
to the mozilla configuration I would try to care for the inclusion of
the feature

   "call script to change user configuration"

in the postinst of a meta package builded using the CDD tools.  Then
we only have to ship this actual script for the med-tools package while
other CDDs might profit from this by providing other useful scripts.