Re: Installing VistA

On Thursday, January 9, 2003 at 18:14:18 (GMT+0100), Andreas Tille wrote:

[KSB] <...snip...>

 > > There are people who make a living out of installing and configuring
 > > VistA, and they can be found at Hardhats (http://hardhats.org) and its
 > > mailing list.  Interestingly, VistA has a good database management
 > > system as well (called Fileman), and there are people who have used
 > > Fileman to set up all sorts of applications outside healthcare, such as
 > > a jewellery wholesale ERP system, an aircraft tracking and display
 > > system, etc.
 > To make my point clear here:  I do not want to stop Hardhat experts
 > to earn money when building Debian packages from VISTA.  My intention
 > is perhaps to help Hardhat-people even more money by providing a method
 > to let them spead up their work by an easy to use installation method.
 > Users of VISTA would be bad advised if they would refuse the help of
 > experts but I can not see any reason why the experts would refuse
 > a solid and robust installation and upgrade procedure as it could be
 > provided by Debian packages.

[KSB] Andreas, I agree that having a simple VistA demo would benefit
all VistA experts as VistA usage grows (a rising tide raises all
boats).

Apropos upgrades, VistA has its own upgrade mechanism, in that the VA
has a patchstream for distributing upgrades and VistA has logic to
apply the patchstream.  One of the issues the VistA community outside
the VA will need to deal with is whether to take a VistA snapshot and
branch off from the VA's FOIA VistA or to find a way to integrate site
specific customization with the patchstream firehose.

 > > [KSB] In my view, a good way to make a demo would be to take a snapshot
 > > of a directory of VistA on GT.M, and put VistA and GT.M on a bootable
 > > CD with something like Knoppix (http://knoppix.org) which will work
 > > even if someone has a Windows PC.  When the CPRS GUI is ported to Kylix
 > > (which will hopefully become available in 2003), the GUI can also be on
 > > the CD.
 > A Knoppix based Debian-Med CD is planned (as announced here).  I would
 > really prefer to install and update this CD cleanly with Debian packages
 > and not putting some stuff on it by hand.  This would be extra workload
 > for volunteers, i.e. I see no good future for this procedure.

[KSB] I agree that automation is the way to go.

This electronic mail transmission contains confidential and/or privileged
information intended only for the person(s) named.  Any use, distribution,
copying or disclosure by another person is strictly prohibited.