Re : Ovnibus news and debian potato ppc

Elizabeth,
Thank you for yur message.

>De : Elizabeth Barham <soggytrousers@yahoo.com>
>À : "Renato Barrios" <renato.barrios@wanadoo.fr>
>Objet : Re: Ovnibus news and debian potato ppc
>Date : Lun 18 mars 2002 1:46
>

> Renato,
>
> There is a binary port of XFree86 to the powerpc available on xfree's
> website, http://www.xfree86.org/. I did not have much luck with XFree
> using the Debian potato version of it but the packages I downloaded
> from XFree86 worked very well.
>
> From what I understand, there is a lot of work in this area being done
> by the Debian port team. I imagine that this is slated for the next
> ppc Debain release entitled 'woody'.
>
> The 2.4 kernels have support for MAC_HID which adds a layer between
> the hardware and the kernel allowing macintosh devices to "look like"
> a pc. I have had much success with this because it means that many
> configuration issues in regards to keyboard and mice are similar if
> not the exact same as those on a PC.
I will see all that.
Speaking about my last message, if debian has to be used in medical
applications it has to be tested, stable and reliable. It seems that potato
ppc is not ready. Maybe discussing about in lists, debian responsables could
clarify and change some things. Specially removing potato from ftp sites or
from distribution. It would be also the case of customize kernels for ppc
architectures. I wonder what you can have if you compile a kernel with pc
specific options enabled. It is not a debian task but someone has to do it.
For this reasons and at this stage of development, I have decided to
recommend debian only to pc installations
http://ovnibus.free.fr/PRO/PRO00.htm
If you thing it is of value to continue with this discussion, please write
to the list.

> Elizabeth
Sincerely yours,
--
Renato Barrios MD
OVNIBUS, a medical debian applications project