E?LTS report for february

I've worked during february on the below listed packages, for Freexian
LTS/ELTS [1]

Many thanks to Freexian and our sponsors [2] for providing this opportunity!

LTS
===

sudo
-------
I have released DLA 3732-1, following previous month work.

Ansible
----------

Following previous month work, I have worked with CNA and upstream, and triaged a few CVEs.
For instance CVE-2023-4237 does not apply

imagemagick
-------------------

I have made a release by backporting patches from unstable:
- Fix CVE-2023-1289
- Fix CVE-2023-34151
- Fix CVE-2023-5341
Some CVEs does not apply to buster for instance CVE-2022-1114.

As usual for imagemagick backport may need to apply unreleated patches, due to huge change in code base, or backport of specific functionalities.

I have therefore released DLA-3737-1

docker
----------

I investigated CVE-2024-24557: patch does not apply but workarround exist, thus this bug might by tagged no-DSA

sendmail
-------------

sendmail upstream does not have a public VCS tree, therefore I tried manually to isolate smtp smurgling
fixes (CVE-2023-51765) in order to get a the minimal patch for fixing this security problem.

Work is also on going with security team and ubuntu for getting a reproducing test case and infrastructure.

composer
--------------
With maintainer fix bookworm/bullseye. Patch on my side (fixing (#1063603/CVE-2024-24821), was incomplete due to debian specific problem , that were investigated in collaboration with David Prevot
I have added testsuite for buster, fixing it using buster depends, work is on going for buster but need backporting some external functionnalities

ELTS
====

sudo
-------
Following previous month work I released   ELA-1042-1

optipng
-----------

I fixed CVE-2023-43907 and CVE-2015-7802/jessie. I released ELA-1044-1

phpseclib
--------------

backport buster to stretch and released ELA-1045-1

php-phseclib
-------------------

risk analysis show it is too risky and intrusive to backport individual patches
I thus backported the buster release that is a stable branch update to strech and released
ELA-1050-1

imagemagick
------------------

I am attending to backport patches from buster. First I triagged bug and noticied that CVE-2023-3745 is not present
Recursion fixes even if patches could be made appliable was not efficient due to missing part of recursion infrastructure in
stretch. I identified commit ddc718eaa93767ceae286e171296b5fbb0bbd812 as the main blocker. As usual with imagemagick
progess is slow due to large code base and complexity of code.

Other work
=========

I attempt montly meeting of teams.

A special thanks to ubuntu security team for cross checking my sendmail work, particularly Mark Esler.

Cheers

rouca

[1]  https://www.freexian.com/lts/
[2]  https://www.freexian.com/lts/debian/#sponsors