Re: bullseye / libgdbm6:amd64 is a catastrophgy

On Fri, Aug 25, 2023 at 11:24:18AM +0200, Marc SCHAEFER wrote:
> Hello,
>
> AFAIK is bullseye not yet LTS-handled.

That is correct. This transition will happen in mid-2024.

> Will LTS fixes important bugs, or only security fixes?

Generally speaking, the LTS team focuses only on fixing security issues.

> I reported this:
>
>    https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=1043023
>
> I have a local work-around (keep the buster version), and the maintainer also
> proposed another local work-around. Mine is running productively for a few
> weeks now.
>
> Will LTS, when it takes hold of bullseye, fix this important bug?

This bug, while seriously impacting the usability of libgdbm6 for your
specific use case, is hardly catastrophic. For that description to be
appropriate it would be necessary for the package to be entirely
non-functional for all use cases, breaking the functionality of other
unrelated packages, and things of a similar nature.

As the maintainer noted in his response to your bug report, you have
several options available to you, including rebuilding the package
locally, upgrading from bullseye to bookworm, and continuing to make use
of the workaround.

That said, if the bug is not fixed before bullseye makes the transition
to LTS, then it almost certainly will not be fixed when bullseye is the
responsibility of the LTS team. There are two main reasons for this.

The first reason is that bugs of this nature (i.e., bugs that are not of
a serious security nature, but which might still require a fix) are
handled by the maintainer coordinating with the stable release managers
(or oldstable release managers, in this case) to receive approval to
upload a fixed package to be included in the next point release. Based
on the response from the maintianer in your bug report, this does not
appear to be in consideration. The second reason is that LTS (not being
under the umbrella of the SRM/OSRM) does not receive point releases. The
final point release of bullseye will happen just prior to the transition
to LTS. Once that happens there will be no further point releseas, only
security updates.

You should not expect that this bug will be fixed in bullseye.

Regards,

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sánchez