Re: WebKit 2.40 update for buster

On Tue, Jun 27, 2023 at 10:53:40AM +0200, Emilio Pozuelo Monfort wrote:
> > I have been testing it a bit using a buster VM but I don't think this
> > is very stable.
> >
> > After removing ~/.cache/epiphany, ~/.local/share/epiphany and
> > ~/.local/share/webkitgtk I am having problems to open web pages using
> > Epiphany. The problems go away if I revert WebKitGTK to the previous
> > version (2.38.6).
>
> Thanks for testing it. That's obviously bad, and makes me ponder
> stopping security updates for webkit on buster and EOL'ing
> it. Although your experience is different than what Carlos
> reported. I wonder if you managed to investigate it a bit and see
> where the crashes came from (I can upload dbg packages if wanted).

I haven't investigated much further, I can do it if you want, but in
general I think we're stretching this too much and this is the time to
stop providing WebKitGTK security updates for buster. The switch to
2.40.x was bumpy for bullseye already (rememer the Evolution issues,
and see also #1036154).

Berto