Re: WebKit 2.40 update for buster

On 02/06/2023 14:17, Emilio Pozuelo Monfort wrote:
> Hi,
>
> With the release of WebKitGTK+ 2.40, the series currently in buster,
> 2.38, has become EOL. Unfortunately 2.40 bumped the compiler and other
> library requirements quite a bit, so a backport wasn't easy, but I've
> managed to do it. It requires clang++-13 to build (which is presently in
> buster) as well as libc++, which is a new runtime dependency. A couple
> of other libraries are now required in order to keep support for Wayland.
>
> I have prepared a repository at
>
>   deb [allow-insecure=yes] https://people.debian.org/~pochu/lts/webkit/ ./
>
> (the allow-insecure could be dropped if make apt trust my GPG key
> (709CA6C7EBE6259C5DF7643E9D46C488E4368302).
>
> Just like in bullseye, the new webkit breaks evolution, so I prepared an
> update for it to work with the newer webkit.
>
> I'd appreciate some testing of any webkit applications
> (epiphany-browser, evolution...) that you can.
>
> If all goes well, I'll address the last known issue (building with cmake
> from buster, which is partly done but not completed) and upload
> everything. Otherwise if there's breakage, the alternative would be to
> mark webkit as limited support (only for trusted content), which
> basically EOLs it.
>
> Cheers,
> Emilio

Thanks for the effort.

I tested it a bit and overall it works to me as expected.

But I found this two issues.

 1) The package webkit2gtk-driver is not installable because
it depends on libwebkit2gtk-4.1-0 instead of libwebkit2gtk-4.0-0

The error is:
 webkit2gtk-driver : Depends: libwebkit2gtk-4.1-0 (= 2.40.1-1~deb10u1) but it is not installable

 2) The version shipped is 2.40.1
Please upgrade it to 2.40.2 as that newer version fixes major security
issues. See: https://webkitgtk.org/security/WSA-2023-0004.html

Thanks!