Re: Upgrade problems from LTS -> LTS+1

Hi

Oh, I did not know about bin/lts-needs-forward-port.py. I wonder if I just made something very similar.

In any case, here is the script I wrote.
http://apt.inguza.net/lts/checkversions.pl

Nothing advanced, but it does the job.

// Ola

On Thu, 20 May 2021 at 19:25, Salvatore Bonaccorso <carnil@debian.org> wrote:
Hi,

On Thu, May 20, 2021 at 08:39:43AM +0200, Ola Lundqvist wrote:
> Hi Salvatore
>
> It is parameterized to check any release update. So it can be used to check
> any previous version to any later version.
>
> It has the parameters --old, --old-sec, --new and --new-sec to point to any
> relevant packages files.
>
> It can be improved to add other things like proposed updates as well with
> few modifications.
> Also it can be improved by making --old-sec and --new-sec optional, right
> now they are mandatory.
>
> So I think it can be used by the regular security team too.

TBH, I do not think we need another script more in the bin folder. For
the relevant suites covered by the security tracker itself we have for
instance the bin/lts-needs-forward-port.py. This covers the situation
where LTS is ahead to the regular support suites (and future LTS). The
script surely could be improved further to filter out what is actually
already pending/planned for the next point release by including
information from the next-point-update.txt files (like tracker.d.o
does as well with the TODO items).

And for the ELTS -> LTS cases we do not need the script in the regular
security-tracker but rather in ELTS specific toolchests.

But maybe you could post your draft somewhere, so one can compare the
pros and contras of it?

I would at least be interested into seeing what you have implemented.

Regards,
Salvatore

|  ola@inguza.com                    opal@debian.org            |
|  http://inguza.com/                Mobile: +46 (0)70-332 1551 |