Re: paid LTS work imposing load on volunteers and other side effects (Re: zsh_5.0.7-5+deb8u1_amd64.changes REJECTED)

Hi Chris,

On Thu, Feb 27, 2020 at 01:57:06AM -0000, Chris Lamb wrote:
> > I'm also vaguely pondering to do a survey among the Debian developers / teams.
> > Given LTS is now 6 years old I think this could be useful.
> I think the usefulness of this would very much depend on the
> specificity of the questions we ask.

yes, sure.

> There are a few contributors that I can immediately think of that are
> not shy in expressing their opinions on the LTS project when asked in
> general terms, so learning of these criticisms yet again would not be
> especially new and thus informative to us. I believe we would receive
> these if our query was along the lines of "So, everybody, what do you
> think of the Debian LTS initiative?".

*nods*

> In contrast, being made aware of things that we do not already know
> (such as quietly imposing workloads on other teams) would be highly
> valuable to learn given the social implications of doing this.

yes.

I'd like to a survey which encourages constructive critism for sure. Then, I
also don't think learning about old grievances is that bad, quite the
contrary. Though of course we can and should guide this, eg by acknowledging
some problems we are aware of.

I'm also positive that the general message (? wording?) of this survey should
be positive, as I do think people are generally happy about LTS, even those
with complaints and grievances. And from there, I'd like to invite for suggestions
for improvements! ;)

So what I would like to do, together with other DDs working on LTS, is to
prepare such a survey in a pad and then *basically* send it out and then
with the same group of people who prepared the pad, to deal with the responses ;)
If you are interested, please reply privately.

Or, something else like this. Because: after 6 years of LTS I believe it's
worthwhile to reach out and find out how we are doing.

--
cheers,
	Holger