Re: jessie-updates gone

On Fri, 2019-03-29 at 11:13 +0100, Pierre Fourès wrote:
> The way I understand it, but I asked for clarification and
> confirmation in my previous message [1], is that all « updates » goes
> into -proposed-updates/, but the one who need to be quickly applied
> into the distribution (but aren't security updates) are duplicated
> from -proposed-updates/ into -updates/. Theses are the updates who
> can't wait and must be applied between the point releases. Then, when
> point releases occurs, all packages in -proposed-updates/ moves into
> the stable repository of the distribution. They are automatically
> removed from -proposed-updates/. This isn't true for the -updates/
> repository as it requires manual pruning. Nonetheless, all packages
> in
> -updates/ went into the stable repository (from the -proposed-updates
> they originated from) when the point-release occurred. So nothing is
> lost. But is that right ?

Yes - see https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2011/03/msg000
10.html , linked from every post to the debian-stable-announce list.
(There will probably be a better URL somewhere on release.d.o once
someone finds sufficient tuits to actually make it.)

The removal of packages from p-u after adding them to stable is part of
the actions performed by ftp-master during the point release (easily
done as the package sets are the same). Technically, it is possible for
an update from -updates / p-u to not be included in a point release,
but that will usually be due to a regression being found before the
point release, and in such cases there will likely be a follow-up
update.

Regards,

Adam