Re: avoid friday deployments?

On Fri, Jun 30, 2017 at 08:56:17AM -0400, Antoine Beaupré wrote:

> What do people think of such a policy? Should I refrain from uploading
> those three packages today and complete that work monday?

I don't think it makes much difference in the end, so long as you are
available and willing to work any follow-up issues.  I think some people
find easier to commit large blocks of weekend time to deal with
unexpected issues.  Some weeks I am quite busy and so I will take this
approach.  Other times I have more flexibility during the week so I will
prefer to deploy during the week so as to not disturb my weekend time.

> Bonus points for horror stories (or positive experiences!) of friday
> deployment shared.

Last year when I upgraded some servers from Wheezy to Jessie, I did
encounter some unexpected issues.  I don't recall for certain, but I
believe I chose a friday of a holiday weekend to allow me the flexbility
to take services down without impacting users.  However, things went
poorly and it took over a week to get everything functioning properly.
It would have been the same whether I started on a weekend or weekday.
As I recall, the issue had to do with Xen and with booting the guest
VMs.  All in all, though, a dist-upgrade to a new release is far more
risky than a security update to a small number of packages.

Regards,

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sánchez