Re: Wheezy update of unrar-nonfree?

Hi there!

Seems there's a little confusion regarding the "rar" and
"unrar-nonfree" packages.

the "rar" package is basically packaged binaries for rar. This is the
only way that rarlabs provides them - and should be considered the
"source".  This is at 5.5.b4 as far as I can see from the watch file
(www.rarlab.com seems down for me currently?)

The package that has source code (unrar-nonfree) is at version 5.5.5
on rarlabs, and is a seperate thing (only un-compresses things,
whereas the "rar" package also compresses them)

As rar is a binary only package, it's likely to cause issues as it'll
be linked against newer libraries, and the libc link means it can't be
redistributed as statically linked.

unrar-nonfree should be easily backportable - it's just the "rar"
version as it's binary only that might be problematic.

I'm a little swamped under with work at the moment - so I'll see what
I can do - but I can't promise when - so please, don't let that stop
anyone who wishes to take this on - and I can try and give any info
that might help to them (I believe both are LowNMU).

For reference -

https://qa.debian.org/cgi-bin/watch?pkg=rar
https://qa.debian.org/cgi-bin/watch?pkg=unrar-nonfree