Re: nagios3 spurious backport?

Hi Antoine,

Am 18.12.2016 um 16:25 schrieb Antoine Beaupré:
> On 2016-12-18 10:05:48, Jonas Meurer wrote:
>> I see that the current situation with a higher nagios3 version in
>> backports than in wheezy-security is not very nice. I'll ping the
>> backports ftpmasters and ask for removal of nagios3 from wheezy-backports.
>
> Actually, after talking with an ftpmaster on IRC, he has made me realize
> that removing the package from -backports will not actually serve our
> purpose, because users will not upgrade to the wheezy-security version,
> as it has a lower version.
>
> The proper fix would be to upload a new backport from stretch or,
> failing that, ship the patches from wheezy-security into the backport.

You're right. Since nagios3 is removed from unstable, I decided to port
patches from 3.4.1-3+deb7u2 and 3.4.1-3+deb7u3 updates to
wheezy-backports, which was pretty straight-forward.

> I don't think we can safely update the wheezy-security version to the
> backport as there are what seems to me to be API-breaking changes
> between -3 and -5... I haven't reviewed the patch, but those changes
> seemed problematic:

I don't think it's worth the effort.

I added an entry to NEWS in 3.4.1-5~bpo7+2 that recommends to downgrade
nagios3 on wheezy installations to 3.4.1-3+deb7u3 from wheezy-security:

nagios3 (3.4.1-5~bpo7+2.1) wheezy-security; urgency=medium

  Please consider downgrading your nagios3 packages to version
3.4.1-3+deb7u3
  from wheezy-security (maintained by the Debian LTS team) in order to
receive
  future security updates. This nagios3 wheezy backport is not actively
  maintained anymore.

 -- Jonas Meurer <mejo@debian.org>  Sat, 24 Dec 2016 14:34:08 +0100

Thanks for checking and notifying me.

Cheers,