Re: Unsupported packages for Wheezy LTS

On Wed, Aug 19, 2015 at 01:02:59PM +0200, Moritz Muehlenhoff wrote:
> Hi,
> as a followup to yesterday's BoF I compared the list of unsupported
> packages in Squeeze LTS against the current status quo:
>
> (We try to split the LTS work from the normal security work, but I'm
> adding team@security.debian.org to CC to let people comment who
> are not on debian-lts.)
>

> This leaves the following for further investigation/discussion:

Another package which needs to be sorted out is the support for
Java. wheezy has both openjdk-6 and openjdk-7 (jessie has only
-7 and stretch will also only have one version).

Currently the maintenance heavily relies on the gruntwork done
by Matthias Klose (and recently indirectly Tiago St�rmer Daitx):
The unstable releases are backported.

It needs to be sorted with them out how long these openjdk-6
uploads will be available in experimental (and how long upstream
support in icedtea will happen). Otherwise it might make more
sense to only support openjdk-7 in Debian LTS. Some rdeps in
wheezy will not allow that, but I think most people use openjdk
to run external java apps and not the Java apps packaged in
Debian (with maybe Tomcat as the exception).

Cheers,
        Moritz