Re: Replacing live-wrapper for live images by live-build?

Hi Roland (and Steve (and others))

On 2021/04/19 19:10, Steve McIntyre wrote:
> Thanks for asking, and for your efforts so far. I'm going to be frank
> in my response - please don't take this personally!

Ditto, your work is much appreciated.

> My experiences with live-build over the years have been so bad that I
> personally never want to touch it again [1]. However, if you and
> others think it is now a reasonable piece of software, then of course
> I'm not going to stand in your way and try to stop you from using it.
>
> My main worry, however, is that we need some *people* (plural) to own
> Debian's live builds going forwards: maintaining the software we use
> (whatever that might be), running it, debugging it, making and testing
> releases with it. In particular, the latter is not a small
> undertaking. This is an ongoing commitment.

I test the live images regularly and have gotten a bunch of papercuts
fixed in the resulting live images over the last two releases, and also
integrated calamares and worked with upstream to fix some bugs for us.
I'm happy to continue doing that, but also don't have a particular
interest in live-build for the exact reasons that you list, which also
makes me particularly grateful that Roland is looking into it, until
today I was worried that most of Roland's work has been on a shelf
collecting dust, but I learned that it has been merged into live-build,
so that's really great.

I think the live images are as important as our other installation media
and I'm also glad that buxy has taken care of so many things, I'd do
more but like Steve, my fingers are in so many pies already so at some
point you have to draw a line on how much you can take on.

So yes, in summary, thanks for all your work, and I'm happy to continue
testing, working on calamares integration (I had some plans for bullseye
that didn't work out that I still intend to pursue for bookworm[1]) and
fix/file Desktop bugs and meta-package issues for -live. So for what
it's worth, you're also not alone when it comes to the live images.

-Jonathan

[1] https://jonathancarter.org/2019/10/17/calamares-plans-for-debian-11/