Re: hdparm missing from 8.0.0 live images

On 04/28/15 03:48, Ben Caradoc-Davies wrote:
> hdparm is missing from 8.0.0 live images. It was present in live images
> up to 7.8.0. I only looked at iso-hybrid.

we're not manually (nor ever have) included hdparm, it must have been
pulled in indirectly by some other package.

> hdparm is in my view an essential utility for live images as it enables
> identification of ATA devices and pre-installation ATA security erase:
> https://ata.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/ATA_Secure_Erase

true, but imho not a strong enough reason to include it and deviate from
the 'we defer the package selection to tasksel entirely'-policy.

> Should hdparm be restored for live images, and if so, how?

imho no (unless it comes via a task).

> Added as a recommends for task-laptop, for some other task, or by elevating the
> priority of hdparm from optional to standard?

i see that we're not including task-laptop anymore, which is imho wrong.
i've added that back in live-images, thanks for reporting!

Regards,
Daniel

--
Address:        Daniel Baumann, Donnerbuehlweg 3, CH-3012 Bern
Email:          daniel.baumann@progress-technologies.net