Rationale for using non-free video drivers in live images
- To: Debian-live mailing list <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Subject: Rationale for using non-free video drivers in live images
- From: Corey Velan <email@example.com>
- Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2014 18:54:34 -0500
- Message-id: <CAPWhaEFgpQcS_TpPV55u3CrnMYnUWU4UqG-Oq6KFvzN=nqQR0Q@mail.gmail.com>
Is the rationale for using non-free video drivers to get better performance (resolutions, etc)? Or are there some graphics cards where the open source drivers simply won't work? When open source drivers don't work, what are the symptoms? Would the screen just remain black or are there other symptoms?
I'm trying to track down issues with a live build failing to boot on various hardware and wondering if including the prop video drivers would be a good next step.