upgrading the kernel on live systems

Hi there!!

Lastly, I've upgraded all the packages in my live Debian system. since this upgrade, the kernel isn't able anymore to mount a 'vfat' filesystem. dmesg is reporting: "vfat: Unknown symbol utf8s_to_utf16s_fixed".

I have asked in the kernel mailing list how to solve this problem and they told me this can occur when you upgrade the kernel package but the boot loader don't load the new kernel image. they also told me that since the live system uses at an union filesystem, it's probably that the only solution is to build anew the live system with the new kernel image.

So, is here anyone which can suggest any other easier solution than to rebuild all the system from the start?

Thanks in advance!!

atar.