Re: web front end: requested HDD, got hybrid-iso

On 2/25/2013 2:09 PM, Richard Nelson wrote:

I might mention that the hybrid iso image should be
compatible with usb keys as well.

I sometimes like to have a single FAT partition on the usb key 1) mainly so that I can easily copy data to/from Windows, which will not recognize multiple partitions on a USB drive, but also 2) so the wear leveling controller works as intended. It is easier to extract the files from an .img file. If you get them from an .iso you have to edit "isolinux" to "syslinux" in file and directory names. However, there are only 3 occurrences, so that is not a real problem. You can simply extract from either img or iso to the FAT-formatted usb drive, changing isolinux to syslinux where necessary, and then make the drive bootable with syslinux --install --mbr --active D: (or whatever device). I would guess this is how the scripts for creating a bootable flash drive work in knoppix, fedora, and puppy.