making edits to /etc/network/interfaces and /etc/inittab

live build is awesome.

I am having some trouble understanding how to modify
/etc/network/interfaces and /etc/inittab.

I have googled but the information I have found (mostly suggesting
that these files get added to ./config/includes.chroot) appears out of
date since this technique does not work. I am using 3.0~b6-1.

If it is as it looks and these files are consrtucted at boot time,
then I could make a script to sed the changes I need, but I don't know
where the appropriate place is to do this to0 ensure that the changes
are in place in the right sequence.

Guidance on the RightWay to modify these files would be appreciated.

cheers,
--Ben