synaptic-pkexec fails in live wheezy environment

Does anyone have an idea why synaptic-pkexec would fail when run in a debian wheezy live environment, but if I install the system to HD from the same ISO synaptic-pkexec works fine?

When run from a terminal in a live environment:

$ synaptic-pkexec
Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 keyInvalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key
(synaptic:2429): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: 0:0

Same result with "sudo synaptic-pkexec". But if I install from the ISO with which I ran the live environment, synaptic-pkexec works fine.

Wheezy ISO built with: live-build 3.0~a46-1
Synaptic version in ISO: 0.75.9

/usr/share/polkit-1/actions/com.ubuntu.pkexec.synaptic.policy exists in both the live and installed environments.

Running synaptic-pkexec from the command line in an installed environment prompts for a password then starts synaptic.

Daniel