Re: On persistency in newer live-boot

On 04/10/2012 03:26 PM, anonym wrote:
> Snapshots can no longer be partitions; only snapshot files are
> supported.

absolutely.

> If this is acceptable I propose that snapshots are activated by a
> live-persistence.conf option called
> "snapshot=PATH_TO_SNAPSHOT_FILE" (extension is optional). A
> complete example line is:

ack.

unrelated to that: imho, the term 'snapshot' is a misnomer.

i understand and expect something different under a snapshot in the
filesystem context. for me, a snapshot consists not of the diff but of
the entire data of a filesystem. like a dump made at a particular
point in time.

while we are at it and this is a good time to name things properly, do
you have a better, more suitable name in mind we could use instead of
'snapshot' to designate an 'overlay packed into a file'?

> We could probably drop support for /etc/live-persistence.binds

ack.

--
Address:        Daniel Baumann, Donnerbuehlweg 3, CH-3012 Bern
Email:          daniel.baumann@progress-technologies.net