Re: On persistency in newer live-boot

Hi,

Daniel Baumann wrote (08 Apr 2012 11:19:02 GMT) :
> i've looked at the persistency stuff in newer live-boot and
> i propose a few changes to naming and such. here we go..

Thank you. Here's just a quick comment. I think I'll let anonym
comment on the other parts if needed.

> 4. live.persist naming

> i think live.persist is awesome, but the name is a bit unfortunate.

> first, we're not using abbrebviations where it's not necessary, so
> live.persistent would be better.

I think we used "persist" as the persist verb in the imperative mood,
as in "Live, persist this and that!". This is no abbreviation.

> second, we quite consistently use live-$foo, not live.$foo, so
> live-persistent would be even better.
> [...]
> erm, i ment to say live-persistent.conf (and at some later point
> allowing to use live-persistent.d/*.conf too).

I'm fine with s/\./-/ and appending .conf.
So live-persist.conf would suit me well.

However, I don't feel the passive form ("live-persistent") expresses
things more clearly than the imperative mood ("live-persist"): at
least, in the imperative mood, the filename looks like a complete
sentence with a conjugated verb in it, expresses some action, rather
than some kind of inactive state of things. Would any native English
speaker here please express themselves on the subject?

All in all, I would slightly prefer live-persist.conf over
live-persistent.conf, but I could perfectly live with any of those.

Cheers,
--
  intrigeri