uncompression error at boot

hello list,

i am new here, and only a budding debian user.  i'm about 3.5 years into my gnu/linux journey and am attempting now to do some outreach programs for educating other people about the wonders of free software.

I am delving into a custom live system, using debian live (I find debian to be the most stable, straight forward, and inherently educational distro out there) and though I've had some successes, I am also having some fairly consistent problems.

The issue right now is that if I try to rebuild a binary-hybrid.iso after a failed attempt or a reconfiguration I consistently end up with an unbootable image.  The md5sum checks out fine and if I start over from scratch in a new directory with the same lb config and build options I will generally get an image that works.  I'm guessing that it should not work this way.  I may just be missing something simple, so here's a specific case:

I ran lb config with a bunch of options, and tried lb build.  It failed due to a hash sum mismatch near the very end of the build.  So, I ran lb clean and then lb build again, which finished successfully this time.  I dd'ed the iso onto a USB drive, and tried booting but ended with an "uncompression error, system halt" which also happened with a failsafe boot as well.  I've had the same problem after reconfiguring an image in the same directory and building it again (perhaps this has something do do with not using the auto scripts?  i don't quite understand them).

Any help would be welcome, I've been reading the manual but am unclear on the process of reconfiguration and rebuilding.  I have only been successful if I build an image from scratch in one go.

Thank you,

Grant