--packages-list debian-science problems

After creating the .img and dd'ing to a thumb drive, I was surprised to find that debian-science booted to the command line. When I typed xmaxima, I got an error message. When I typed R, I got the R prompt, but when I then tried the command "demo(graphics)", it failed. (I've used the online CGI builder successfully with both xmaxima and R in combination with the LXDE package list).

I tried dd if=/dev/sda | md5sum to see if the thumb drive matched the .img. It did not match, but then when I tried the same thing with a thumb drive that was known to work correctly, that did not match either. I suppose this trick, which can be used to match a DVD with its .iso, does not work with flash drives and .img.

Is anyone actually using the debian-science configuration?