Re: built debian-live iso using Version: 2.0~a16-1, but cannot login when booting from the corresponding burnt DVD

On 2010-07-01 00:53-0700 Alan W. Irwin wrote:

Today I tried building a debian live iso for the first time.  (The idea is
to check out the problematic debian testing Intel X stack on my debian lenny
desktop production computer before doing a permanent install of debian
testing on that computer).

The iso appeared to be generated without obvious errors.  When I burn that
iso to a dvd, boot with that dvd, and use the live menu item the boot
messages that roar by look okay to me with no obvious errors. kdm comes up
with a window giving me an opportunity to login. (which is a quick check
that my X configuration is fine).  However, the documented default username
and password of "user" and "live" do not work. ctrl-ALT-F1 puts me in a
console, but I also cannot login there with that combination of username and
password.  So I am completely stuck as to how to use the iso and
corresponding DVD that I have generated!

If Version: 2.0~a16-1 of live-helper has a different default username or
password than what is documented ("user" and "live") please let me know.

I have investigated this further by mounting the iso loopback and then
mounting the live/filesystem.squashfs contained in that iso loopback as
well.  Here is the resulting shadow and passwd files in the etc subdirectory
of that squash file system.

software@raven> cat shadow root:*:14791:0:99999:7:::
daemon:*:14791:0:99999:7:::
bin:*:14791:0:99999:7:::