Using Debian Live

There's really nothing Debian-Live specific to do.  Just use the standard tools.

The documents at tldp.org are probably your best bet- there's probably
no changes in how to repair ext2/3 filesystems since sarge.

I don't know what the big picture is of what you are trying to
accomplish but if it was me, I'd mount with '-o ro', rsync or tar off
the important stuff, and reinstall.

Fsck can repair a lot of stuff but to me a corrupt root inode is
indication that there's probably been a lot of corruption and I
wouldn't even bother trying to fix the partition.

Oh, and before you trust this drive for your data again, make sure you
test every sector, e.g. mkfs.ext3 -j -c -c  (it's destructive, so
don't skip ahead to this step!)

Tony

--
Best Regards.