Re: DFD09 March 25

I am really impressed re: Argentina's use of cryptographic methods of authentication.  That is worlds beyond anything I have seen in the states.  I believe that to really preserve attorney-client privilege, email traffic should be encrypted, but that is not the norm and certainly a topic for a different discussion.

Support for S/MIME, PGP, and other certificate authorities ought to be included in DebianLex, especially of there are jurisdictions actively employing such methodologies.

On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 1:15 PM, Barbara Figueirido <barbara@bariloche.com.ar> wrote:
Hello all!
ter wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-03-25 at 07:24 -0300, Barbara Figueirido wrote:
> This reminds me - how about a new category/metapackage for
> Confidentiality (not quite the same as security)? It is very important
> to practice in the US (elsewhere too?), but which is not being addressed
> even in the non-FOSS world, maybe due to a lack of awareness of how to
> use encryption tools. It could be an area where DebianLex could shine!

Certainly! I don't know if it would amount to a category, but may well
be so.
Adding the category as a working idea seems great. I think it should
comprise encription, PKI, digital signatures & the like, there is quite
a lot of relevant and well established (FOSS) software around.
For those interested, in Argentina there is a never-quite-enforced
making a (non-technical) distinction between electronic signatures &
digital signatures, the latter having equal value as a handwritten one.
To qualify as "digital signature" it should be based on a certificate
issued by a certified Certifying Authority (sounds like a joke).
I don't think I should bother you with the intricacies of this system,
if someone is interested please write me on private, I will gladly
explain more on this fascinating topic.

Regards,
Barbara